This tutorial shows how to unlock Bootloader on Motorola Devices – Official method
Bootloader of the devices are locked from factory, so that the owners won’t brick their device by editing the system files and other stuff. But if you are an Android power user then you might be looking to Root your device, but rooting a device needs to unlock the Bootloader. So in this guide checkout how to unlock Bootloader on Motorola devices by following the official method.
Once you have unlocked Bootloader on Motorola device, you will be able to Root your device and install Custom ROM’s, Custom Kernel’s and other mods on your device. But you have to know the below listed things before you proceed to unlock Bootloader on your Motorola device.
Things to know before unlocking Bootloader on Motorola device:
- Unlocking Bootloader on your device voids warranty.
- Unlocking Bootloader wipes all the data and settings.
- You will be opted out of OTA updates.
- Device manufacturer may cost you extra to re-lock the Bootloader if you have bricked your device.
- We and manufacturer should not be held liable or responsible if you have bricked your device.
- This process to unlock Bootloader on Motorola is only for unlocked network carrier devices. It is not for network locked devices.
- Backup all of your data to a safe place, as unlocking Bootloader erases all of your data and settings.
Backup and Restore SMS
Backup and Restore Call Logs
Backup and Restore Contacts
Backup files stored on internal storage to PC.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Motorola device.
- Charge your device to at least 75%, to avoid interruptions during process.
- Download and install USB Drivers on PC from here.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot drivers.
Also Read: How to Unlock Bootloader on HTC
How to unlock Bootloader on Motorola devices:
- Visit Motorola’s Bootloader unlock website and hit Next.
- If you have already configured Google Account on your phone then use that Google Account to sign in. Otherwise use Motorola account, if you don’t have then Signup for one.
- Once signed in, you will be taken to the list of steps to Unlock Bootloader on Motorola devices. Take a Snapshot of the steps or just follow the below listed steps.
- Power off Motorola device and enter into Bootloader / Fastboot Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power button simultaneously.
- Now connect your device to PC using OEM data cable.
- Open the Fastboot folder and press and hold the shift key and right click anywhere inside the Fastboot folder at the empty space and from the list of options choose open command window here.
- Now a Command Prompt opens in it type: fastboot oem get_unlock_data and hit enter.
- Now a long text with random letters and numbers appears. It will be similar to one below:
- Copy the text and paste it in Notepad or other text editor.
- Now remove all the spaces and string “(bootloader)”. So that we get long string as below:
- Now in PC where you were provided with the steps to unlock Bootloader on Motorola device, check for text box and paste the entire string in it.
- Once you have pasted the string hit “Can my device be unlocked?” Button. If your device is unlockable then a button to “Request Unlock Key” appears at the bottom of the page.
- Accept all the terms and conditions and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Now you will receive an E-Mail from Motorola with the unlock code. Sometimes it may take few minutes to get an E-Mail.
- Once you have received the Unlock Code in E-Mail in the CMD type: fastboot oem unlock KEY and hit enter. In this command replace KEY with the unlock code which you have received in E-Mail.
- If everything is fine, you will see the warning message on your device and your device will reboot.
That’s all now you have successfully unlocked Bootloader on Motorola device. Do let us know in the comment section if you have any queries. Also share this tutorial with your friends on Social Networking sites and help them in unlocking Bootloader on their Motorola device.
Ads by Yahoo