This tutorial shows how to Unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia Devices – Official Method
Smartphone manufacturers lock the Bootloader of the devices so that users or owners won’t edit the system files and avoid bricking. But as the Android is open source many developers are working towards Custom ROM, Kernels and other mods, and to develop them they need to have some system files from the device, so they have to unlock Bootloader and Root their device. So if you are one such steeping to root your Xperia device, then this tutorial helps you, as before rooting you have to unlock Bootloader.
Before you proceed to the actual process of unlocking Bootloader on Sony Xperia, you have to follow the below steps, so as to reduce the risk of bricking your device.
- Backup all of your important data as unlocking Bootloader will wipe all of your data and settings.
Backup Call Logs
Backup files stored on Internal Storage to PC
- Enable USB Debugging on your Sony Xperia device.
- Charge your device to at least 75%, so as to avoid it from shutting down in between the process.
- Install Android USB Drivers suitable for your device on PC.
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot drivers on PC.
- Check if your device’s Bootloader can be unlocked or not, by entering the following number in phone dialer - *#*#7378423#*#*. Now a service menu should open in that go to Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. Now check if Bootloader unlock allowed says “Yes”. If it is yes then you can unlock Bootloader on your Sony Xperia device.
- Check if your device is listed in the compatibility list.
Also Read: How to Unlock Bootloader on HTC devices
Things to know before proceeding to unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia device:
- Unlocking Bootloader wipes all of your data and settings.
- Unlocking Bootloader voids warranty.
- You will be opted out of future OTA updates.
- Sony might charge you extra to re-lock Bootloader in case of the bricked phone.
- If you brick your device then neither Sony nor the members of Gizmo Advices are held responsible.
- You are at your own risk in following the below steps to unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia device:
- Download the Sony Fastboot Driver file and extract it to a folder.
- You will get android_winusb.inf file. Copy it to the Fastboot folder.
- Write down your IMEI number on a paper. Check your IMEI no by dialing *#06# in phone dialer.
- Visit Sony’s Bootloader Unlocking website.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Enter your Name, E-Mail and IMEI no and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Once you have entered E-Mail and other information you will receive the Unlock Code from Sony after few minutes.
- Power off your Xperia device.
- Enter into Fastboot Mode. To do so connect your device to PC by pressing and holding either Menu button or Search Button or Volume Up Button. Check the correct key for your device here under supported devices.
- Open the Fastboot Folder and press and hold the Shift key and right click inside the Fastboot folder at the empty space and from the list choose Open command window here.
- Now a command prompt with the address to Fastboot folder opens, in CMD type:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar versionand press enter, you should get a response like 0.3 sec or something similar.
- Now type:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEYand press enter. In this command replace
KEYwith the unlock code, which you have received in the email.
- Now the process is initiated to unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia device.
- After few minutes Bootloader on your Xperia device will be unlocked successfully.
That’s all now you have successfully unlocked Bootloader on Sony Xperia. Do share this tutorial with your friends on Social networking sites and help them in unlocking Bootloader on their Sony Xperia device.
Below is the video on how to unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia device from SonyXperiaDev.