This tutorial shows how to manually update HTC One M8 GPE to Android 5.1 Lollipop firmware – OTA Package
As expected HTC has started rolling out the Android 5.1 Lollipop firmware for HTC One M8 GPE via over the air (OTA). The update can be applied to the HTC One M8 GPE via OTA and it is recommended to download the update via Wi-Fi to reduce your data consumption and also to save your time. If you are facing issues updating HTC One M8 GPE to Android 5.1 Lollipop via OTA, then you can also manually apply the update. This tutorial is based on how to manually update HTC One M8 GPE to android 5.1 Lollipop.
Android 5.1 Lollipop is the latest android firmware available right now and it is the update of Android 5.0 Lollipop with some bug fixes, security fixes and some enhancements and all the HTC One M8 GPE users are lucky to get it on their device, while the other device owners are still struggling to get Android 5.0 Lollipop and some are also waiting to taste KitKat version.
So without any further ado let’s jump to the pre-requisites, so that we can manually update HTC One M8 GPE to Android 5.1 Lollipop without any mishaps.
- Make a complete backup of all if your important data and stuff to a safe place.
Backup and Restore SMS
Backup and Restore Contacts
Backup and Restore Call Logs
Backup files on internal storage to PC
- Device should have sufficient charge left to carry out the update process. It is recommended to charge the device at least 75%.
- Enable USB Debugging on HTC One M8 GPE.
- Device should be in S-OFF mode. This mode is for security check and it prevents users from flashing Custom ROM’s. To check the status of the S-OFF / S-ON boot into HBOOT mode.
- Install HTC USB drivers on your PC.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible for any damage to HTC One M8 GPE. So carry out the update process only if you understand what you are doing and it should be done at your own risk and no one should be held responsible if you bricked your device.
Manually update HTC One M8 GPE to Android 5.1 Lollipop firmware:
Step 1: Download the Android 5.1 Lollipop OTA Package from here on PC.
Step 2: Transfer the file to root of your device’s internal storage.
Step 3: Boot HTC One M8 GPE into Fastboot Mode.
- Power off HTC One M8 GPE.
- Press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously till you see Fastboot Menu.
Step 4: Navigate to Recovery option in Fastboot Menu using Volume keys and select it using power button.
Step 5: Now follow the guide on how to install zip files using Recovery and install the Android 5.1 Lollipop OTA package.
Step 6: Reboot HTC One M8 GPE and check the Android version under Settings > About Phone.
That’s it! Now you have updated HTC One M8 GPE to Android 5.1 Lollipop.
If this tutorial has helped you updating your device then consider sharing on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus etc.
Have any issues? Comment below.