This tutorial shows how to install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus One android smartphone – Guide
Earlier we have shared a guide on how to unlock Bootloader on OnePlus One, so do check that guide and follow all the steps listed there before you proceed with this tutorial, as rooting and installing Custom Recovery requires you to have unlocked Bootloader. If you have already unlocked Bootloader on OnePlus One, then you can proceed with the below guide and follow the steps to install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus One.
Rooting an Android smartphone voids its warranty but opens many doors for the customization and enhancement of the device. So it is advised to root your device only if your warranty period is expired. If you brick your device while following the steps listed below, then don’t blame us as the steps listed below are for reference purpose only and should be carried out at your own risk. Though all the steps listed below are correct, sometimes if you don’t follow them as described can brick your device.
- It is always recommended to have a complete backup of your device. So that we can restore all the data and stuff if are lost.
Backup and Restore SMS
Backup and Restore Contacts
Backup and Restore Call Logs
Backup files on internal storage to PC
- Ensure your device has at least 75% battery juice left for the rooting process to carry out.
- Enable USB Debugging on OnePlus One.
- Download and install OnePlus One USB Drivers.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot drivers on PC.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible for any damage to OnePlus One. Understand the risk involved in proceeding with the steps listed below and proceed at your own risk.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus One:
Step 1: Download the TWRP Custom Recovery for OnePlus One.
Step 2: Copy the downloaded TWRP image to Fastboot folder and rename it to recovery.img
Step 3: Boot OnePlus One into Bootloader / Fastboot Mode.
- Power off OnePlus One.
- Press and hold Volume Up and power buttons until you see Fastboot text on screen.
Step 4: Open command prompt in Fastboot Mode.
- Open the Fastboot folder.
- Press and hold shift key and right click anywhere inside Fastboot folder at empty space.
- Now choose Open command window here from the list.
Step 5: In CMD type the following commands and hit enter after each command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
This command will flash the TWRP Recovery image file to OnePlus One.
This command will reboot OnePlus One into normal mode.
Now you have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on OnePlus One and it’s time to root OnePlus One.
How to Root OnePlus One:
Step 1: Download the SuperSU (Rooting package) from here.
Step 2: Transfer it to root of your device’s SD card.
Step 3: Boot OnePlus One into Recovery Mode.
- Power off OnePlus One.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Power button until you see Recovery Mode or OnePlus One Logo.
Step 4: Now follow guide on how to flash zip files using Custom Recovery and flash SuperSU.
Step 5: Reboot your device into normal mode and check for root permissions using Root Checker App.
That’s it, congratulations! Now you have Rooted OnePlus One and installed TWRP Recovery. Do share this tutorial on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus etc. and help others in installing TWRP Recovery and Rooting OnePlus One.
Have any queries? Do post them in comment section below.