This tutorial shows how to install Android M Developer Preview 2 on Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 – Complete Guide
Google has earlier released the Android M Developer Preview for Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 and now it has released the Android M Developer Preview 2 for these devices. It is expected that Google will release Android M Developer Preview 3 late this July and it is not much far and the final release of Android M will be released in Q3 of this year and as expected it will be first available for the Nexus devices and then to the other OEM manufacturers.
As the Android M Developer Preview 2 is out, we will guide you on how to install it on your Nexus device. So, if you have Nexus 5, Nexus 6 or Nexus 9 get ready to enjoy the latest version of Android i.e., Android M on your device.
- Make sure to create complete backup of all of your data to safe place.
Backup and Restore SMS
Backup and Restore Contacts
Backup and Restore Call Logs
Backup files on internal storage to PC
- Ensure that USB Debugging is enabled on Nexus 5, Nexus 6 or Nexus 9.
- Charge on your device should not be less than 80%. This is to avoid unexpected shutdowns during installation process and also to avoid partial installation of the firmware files, which may brick your device.
- Install requires USB Drivers on PC.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot drivers on PC.
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any damage to your Nexus device. Follow the installation steps listed below at your own risk.
Download Android M Developer Preview 2:
Nexus 5 (GSM/LTE) – [hammerhead-MPZ79M-preview-b1f4bde4.tgz]
Nexus 6 – [shamu-MPZ79M-preview-e1024040.tgz]
Nexus 9 – [volantis-MPZ79M-preview-9f305342.tgz]
Note: As the Android M is still in Developer Preview it might contain some bugs, which will be fixed in the later versions. So if you are the one who can’t tolerate bugs then it is recommended not to proceed with the below steps.
How to install Android M Developer Preview 2 on Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and Nexus 9:
Step 1: Download the Android M Developer Preview 2 for your device from the links provided in the above download section.
Step 2: Extract the firmware package to a folder and copy all the contents of it to Fastboot folder.
Step 3: Boot your Nexus device into Bootloader / Fastboot mode.
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold Volume Down and Power button to boot into Bootloader Mode.
Step 4: Connect your device to PC using OEM USB Cable.
Step 5: Run flash-all.bat as administrator.
Step 6: Follow the onscreen instructions.
If you get error message in the command prompt then follow the below instructions:
- Extract the image.zip file and copy the extracted contents to the firmware folder.
- Now open CMD inside the folder by pressing and holding Shift key and right click inside the folder at the empty space and choose open command window here.
- In CMD type the following commands and hit enter after each command:
fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader-filename>.img
In the above command replace the <bootloader-filename> with the name of the bootloader file.
fastboot reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
Once you have executed all the above commands you are ready to enjoy the Android M Developer Preview 2 on your Nexus device.
Note: If you get stuck into bootloop sequence then try clearing cache from Recovery Mode. If the problem still persists wipe data and Factory reset your device.
Do share this tutorial with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus and let them know how to install Android M Developer Preview 2 on Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and Nexus 9.
Have any questions? Drop ‘em in the comment section below.